RE: carb question

To: "Rusty Greer" <rusty.greer@gmail.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: carb question
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:53:17 -0800
        Rusty:

        That is a GREAT name for someone into old British cars!!!
Perhaps that is a nickname assigned to you because of your hobby? That
or "Lucas" are the consummate names for LBC aficionados.
        The gas leak occurs because the needle valve is not sealing, so
the fuel pump is over filling the float bowl. The fuel then leaks out
through the float bowl vent. Your carbs do not have a vent port valve,
so this port is always open to air through the air cleaner. This
references the float bowl pressure to the atmosphere pressure present at
the inlet of the carb, resulting in more accurate fuel metering.
        Possible causes of the fuel leak are: Dirty or damaged needle
valve or seat, leaky float or float height set incorrectly. To remedy
the issue requires disassembling the carb and the appropriate parts.
Despite the experiences of others on the list, I have had great success
with the less expensive Grose needle valves from Moss should you decide
to replace the valves.

        Cheers,

        Vance