Low Oil Pressure

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Low Oil Pressure
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:53:36 -0800 (PST)
I have just finished rebuilding my "fast street" engine.  It runs
great but I am concerned about the oil pressure.  I get about 85 psi
at road speed and about 45 at idle when the engine is cold.  When it
gets full warm it goes down to about 45 at speed and 20 or less at
idle. Sometimes the low oil pressure light comes on at idle.
Everything in the engine is new, all bearings, oil pump and everything
normally associated with oil pressure.  I just changed the oil and
filter and the oil from 15-40 wt to straight 35 wt (3 qts 30 and 3 of
40). It helped a little but not enough for my liking.  I swapped out
the oil pressure relief valve with another used one that a friend had
that worked great for him and it was worse than my original one.
Anyone have any ideas before I drop the pan and check the pump and
bearings?

  Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR 6