RE: Flame trap

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Flame trap
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 13:36:28 -0800
        Mike:

        Could be float level, or a damaged or leaking float I suppose.
Also, a pinhole or a tear in a diaphragm can give similar symptoms - you
will need to stretch the diaphragms to do the inspection otherwise you
can miss a small tear or hole. If it is a diaphragm, I would not expect
it to matter if you were cornering or not - but it is easy to check.
        Another possibility (I *love* to throw red herrings out there)
is incorrect viscosity for the dashpot oil, although I have not noticed
that my car is particularly fussy about this. Still, I use the Moss oil
specifically designed for the dashpots. Costs $10 for four ounces, so
for that price it better be made from ultra pure paraffin based oil,
custom refined by a blind English Chemist in a secret lab outside of
London. Not, as I suspect, made from the unfiltered crankcase drainings
at the local Jiffy Lube.

        The flame traps are simply hollow metal capsules inserted into
vacuum lines for safety purposes. If the engine backfires through the
carburetors (or carburettors if you are English) these prevent the flame
from traveling through the piping and damaging rubber diaphragms in the
dizzy and EGR valve.
        Personally, I have a hard time believing that the flames can
propagate through those teensy vacuum lines, but what the heck. I also
didn't believe that Lucas Electrics were powered by smoke, until I saw
with my own eyes that things quit working when the smoke leaks out.

        Yes, it *IS* bragging when you start talking about how hot your
car is. But secretly we are all jealous.

        Vance