Con Rod/Main Bearings

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Con Rod/Main Bearings
From: "Sean McCafferty" <mccafferty@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:25:01 -0500
Hello,

The winter project season has started - snow's in the forecast for later
this week.

When driving this summer and monitoring my oil pressure the typical readings
I was getting were: 70-80Ibs cold, 50 lbs @3000 RPM- 4th gear and 15-20lbs
hot idle. The last reading was the one that had me concerned and so main/con
rod bearings and thrust washer assessment were put on the project list. I
dropped the pan this past weekend and pulled the #6 con rod bearing.
Everything looked good to me - minimal, if any, wear on the bearing. Crank
also looked good with no scoring on the bearing surface. I checked the oil
pump specs to the Bentley standard and they also look good - the outer rotor
to the pump body was on the outer end of the acceptable .010 so I'll go
ahead and replace the pump. The questions I have are:

-        most of my reading suggests 15-20lbs hot idle is low --- is there a
specific circumstance that would cause that?

-        the bearing I removed was Std dimension (no manufacturer marks) and
the new ones I ordered were the BPNW tri-metal so I hate to have them sit
around and collect dust - if the surfaces look good do I really need to
plastigage the fit to check whether the fit is within spec or just go ahead
and install the new bearings?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Sean McCafferty

Milton, Ontario

http://www.triumphowners.com/874