Starter issue

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter issue
From: "John North" <johncnorth@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:47:50 -0500
Just finishing up work on rear crank seal and clutch (among other
things), and I was looking forward to a little drive, but...     The
starter turns just fine but doesn't engage the flywheel.   I suppose I
could've screwed up the flywheel install, but I don't think so.   I
can see the flywheel about 1/2 inch inside the starter hole.   I
checked the run out when I installed it so I don't see how I could've
missed the locating dowel, surely the run out would've been all over
the place.

It looks like the starter cog is not moving forward to enage the
flywheel.   Does this happen?   What's the deal?   I checked the
electrical connections and they look good.   The starter was fitting
snug against the plate.

Any suggestions?   Sure would like to take a drive

John North