Electric Fan Relay Power connection

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Electric Fan Relay Power connection
From: MTRsix71@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:21:35 EST
Hail to the Great LIST,
Been reading over and over the Dan Master's Chapter on installing an
electric fan with ON-OFF-AUTO switch. I have pretty much sorted out all the
wiring
except for the main(+) wire to terminal 30 on the relay.  The  chapter says to
connect terminal 30 to a Brown/White wire for early TR6s with an  ammeter,
which I do have. He also says to connect to the Brown/White wire on the
Alternator side of the ammeter so the ammeter works properly on load, which I
also
want it to do.

>From wiring diagram I see the Brown/White wire (large gauge wire) runs from
the ammeter to the alternator.  When the books says "connect to the
alternator side of the ammeter" does this mean I have to connect it to the
rear of the
ammeter on the side that feeds wires to the alternator? If so there  is a
large and small spade connector already being used on the ammeter, but I  would
need to add a third for the fan. I can take the smaller unused spade from  the
other side of the ammeter if needed, but would prefer not to remove the  gauge
if I did not have to.

OR does this mean I can connect to the Brown/White wire directly at the
alternator connection to feed terminal 30 of the fan relay. This connection is
still essentially on the "alternator side of the ammeter", just not right at
the
 ammeter and is much more convenient for access.

When it comes to mechanical issues, I am comfortable. However, electrons  are
difficult to see and put my hands on with some tool!

TIA for assistance,
MRankin, 1971 TR6 CC61212L