Re: tube shock conversion

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tube shock conversion
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 13:11:41 -0800
All---Some tube shock conversions do not require any re-engineering
during or after installation. Alto I rarely do business with VB, I found
their kit to be acceptable. The bracket is designed to just bolt on.
Contact is made with the rubber bump stop  before the shock bottoms out.
(Tested "by hand" with the road spring removed) No adjustment for the
bump stop was necessary. The bracket that bolts to the two holes used
for the original lever shocks is quite healthy, and should not tear lose
if full frame contact is made.
Some kits DO option adjustable shocks, for those that want to pay a
little extra for this feature..
I have found that the KYB's offer good control, both on bump and
rebound.
The bolts that came with the kit were long enough to further secure the
bottom bracket with lock washers and nuts.

Dick

Ryan writes, in part...
....doubt that most TR owners who buy this conversion kit actually know
that it isn't just a "bolt-on" procedure, even though it is marketed by
some parts suppliers as so.
i don't even know if the KYB shocks that are usually supplied with the
kit are even adjustable? if not, why not sell the kit with an adjustable
shock? and I think that whoever sells these kits should clearly inform
their customers, that modifications will be necessary with this kit or
frame damage can likely result.
ryan