RE: Striping... the engine bay

To: "Adam C Beasley" <adam@adambeasley.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Striping... the engine bay
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:49:46 -0800
        Adam:

        So there are a couple of ways that seem effective, after I
stripped my tub
and fender wells for painting. Paint comes off nicely if you have a good
stripper,
but the tar and undercoating, forget it.
        My recommendation is that you get an angle grinder (Got mine for
$40 new
at home depot) and a couple of twisted wire cup brushes, and maybe a
twisted
wire disk brush. The brushes will run you about $10 each.
        Put on some coveralls, a hairnet, SAFETY GLASSES, latex gloves,
and a
surgical facemask. Use the angle grinder and the cup brush to start
with. The
paint and undercoating will fly off about as fast as you can drag the
angle
grinder around. DO NOT do this without safety glasses. Enough crap comes

flying off the car fast enough you will go blind in 30 seconds without
eye
protection. The undercoating goes quickly too, and ends up in a pile of
crumbs
at your feet. Clean them up, or risk having the EPA condemn your home as
toxic waste superfund site. I used a shop vac and dumped it in the
trash.
Pity the poor sanitation dweeb who picked it up - he probably has two
heads
by now.
        The other options:
        A propane torch with a flame spreader, and a good putty knife.
You will
need an air pack, and it should only be done when the wind is blowing in
the
direction of the neighbor you don't get along with. If his dog is out in
the
yard, he will be looking for new pet very shortly. This method is fast,
which
is a nice plus. Downside is that things have a way of bursting into
flames,
especially in the vicinity of the gas tank. Make sure your life
insurance
premiums are up to date before working on anything near the tank or fuel
lines.
        A heat gun, a putty knife, and lots of patience. Low fumes,
environmentally friendly, and a lot more work. Works OK on paint, but
the
undercoating will require new and creative ways to string together 4
letter
words. You may well be a clock tower sniper by the time it is all done.
        The angle grinder is a nice way to go if you are into power
tools.
The testosterone really starts to flow when you realize how fast you
can get the job done. Hooo-yah!

        Vance