Re: Grose Jets

To: BCrouter@cicorp.sk.ca, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Grose Jets
From: Pimento73@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 18:33:53 EST
In a message dated 2/28/2006 11:12:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
BCrouter@cicorp.sk.ca writes:

I am  rebuilding my carburetors and see in the different part books that
Grose  Jets are available to replace the needles.  Is this an upgrade
that I  should consider?  Is there anything I need to know?  I  would
greatly appreciate any advice.

Bruce-
IMHO Grose jets should be avoided like The Plague - you not only shouldn't
deliberately buy them, if they are contained in a rebuild kit you purchase
(they frequently are) you should make sure that you destroy them completely - I

used to just throw them away, but it has occurred to me that the infinitesimal
 chance that someone might find one and actually use it is just too horrible
a  possibility to consider.
3 out of 4 Grose jets I have installed in my lifetime stuck open - not  too
disastrous on my TR6 but really horrible when both stuck on  my TR8 within a
month of the rebuild.

Here's a needle valve replacement I do recommend:
moss part #366-090
sorry i don't have anybody else's part no.
this will come up as an MG part, but it is identical to needle valves  fitted
to Strombergs on TR8s and will fit any of the Strombergs ever fitted to  TR6s
as well. It has a fine mesh bubble over the inlet side which prevents
anything from getting into the valve to cause it to stick.

Cheers
Jack Mc