Re: [TurboBoard] Re: Green Air Filter K&N Independent test

To: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TurboBoard] Re: Green Air Filter K&N Independent test
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:14:38 -0500
> Interesting facts published on the Turbo Board. If these tests
> are accurate then it makes me wonder if my Triple throat
> K&N's are only catching  .............kangaroo's?

My first thought is, what facts?  Facts usually have an identifiable source,
the forwarded email gives some figures, but since I have no idea where they
came from, I would hardly call those figures facts.

So there is no source to verify the information, which is problem number
one.  Then you must consider "who would benefit from trying to muddy K&N's
name and reputation?", well of course the answer is, another filter
manufacturer or a dealer selling another brand of filter.

Which is precisely what is behind all of this.  The guy that originally
posted that K&N information is a BMW aftermarket performance guy, he sells
filters too - ITG FOAM filters!  Of course he now has to find a means to
sell these foam filters to BMW owners who - like most of us - have learned
over the years that K&Ns are quite good filters.

So Mr. Conforti (the BMW performance parts guy) decides to try and
discourage BMW owners from buying K&N filters, by sending out a K&N filter
to some unknown lab to run some tests.  Here are the original results of the
test, that he posted on his website:

http://www.sharked.com/pdfs/K&N_test.pdf

Some graphs, some more figures, a diagram of the testing apparatus.  No
letterhead, no phone numbers, no names, nothing to ID the testing source.
Which means, we have no way of verifying if any of this information or
disinformation is correct.  I have a difficult time just trying to figure
out what the hand written scribble is, that is written all over those lab
results from some unknown lab.

It is at this point my BS-filter has become clogged, due to the excessive
amount of BS that is attempting to infiltrate my brain.  My conclusion is
that the anti-K&N post is simply the work of someone trying to establish
another brand of filter, and capture some market share.  ITG filters may
have a hand in this as well.  Of course the dealer's only benefit is the
selling of more BMW filters.  ITG benefits by association, simply because if
they encouraged this disinformation in anyway, they knew the anti-K&N
propaganda would travel across the internet and result in 1) some people not
buying K&N filters 2) potentially more people to buy ITG filters.

Kai