RE: [TurboBoard] Re: Green Air Filter K&N Independent test

To: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TurboBoard] Re: Green Air Filter K&N Independent test
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:32:46 -0800
        Richard:

        Ow, ow Owww!

        You are goring my sacred cow. It huuuurts!

        Seriously, this little article flies in the face of all the data
published by David Vizard in his various books. The man is my hero, and
when people start stomping on my heroes, I get depressed.
        His data has always showed that a dirty K&N outflows a dirty
anything else. A clean K&N outflows all but the very best paper
elements. Foam elements always underflow both paper and K&N, and so
Vizard recommends upsizing foam elements considerably if one is
contemplating their use.
        Every engine the guy ever builds shows a K&N filter on it. Al of
this is at odds with this posting to a Porsche news group. I have read
probably a dozen books written by David, published over 20 years, and
his allegiance to the oiled gauze K&N filter has been unwavering. He
publishes more hard data than any of the other engine builders ever
have, including Lingenfelter, Yunick, and Bechtel, and has published
books on Mini engines, Triumph engines, and small block Chevies. He has
consulted for various cam manufacturers including Kent Cams, and
designed their Megadyne series of cams after extensive dyno development.
He has raced everything from Minis on up, and has built small block
Chevies running close to 1,000 HP.
        I guess where I am going with this is that I am reluctant to
part with my K&Ns because of a posting to a newsgroup. When I see that
someone like Vizard starts using something else, that is when I will
switch. I just have a hard time believing that a single article in a
news group could possibly reflect the kind of experience behind David
Vizard's articles, so color me skeptical.

        Cheers,

        Vance