Re: TR6 performance street cams

To: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: TR6 performance street cams
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:03:51 -0500
> on the side.  I'll be working on a TR6 motor soon, and the
> customer would like a hotter cam, one suitable for tooling
> about town, not roaring around the race track.  What are
> people's experience and comments about some of the various
> grinds on the market these days?

Richard Good's GP2, hands down, is probably the best all around street cam
available on the market.  I also like the original TR5 PI camshaft quite a
bit, Richard's cam has the edge.

I have built numerous engines with the GP2, with power outputs ranging from
130HP to 175HP.  Here is the run down of  some recent configurations I have
built and what they'll get you.

~130HP (108 at the wheels, measured on a DynoJet and verified at 110 at the
wheels on a DynaPack):

GP2 cam w/ WBC 1.55:1 roller rockers
9.75:1 compression, on an early narrow port head
Dual Weber DGV setup (customer wished to retain these carbs, from his
previous motor... probably costing him 7-10HP against the stock Strombergs)
Stock Lucas Distributor
Stock Dual Exhaust Manifold w/ ANSA Exhaust System
Otherwise nothing special.  Basically a pretty sizable jump with just the
upgrade to the GP2 camshaft and the bump in compression.

164HP / 178FT LBS of torque (DTS engine dyno):

GP2 cam w/ RGood 1.55:1 roller rockers
10.4:1 compression, wide port head w/ very minor head work
Triple Strombergs (my own needles)
Mallory Dual Point Distributor w/ electronic tach conversion
TriumphTune Road Exhaust Manifold

181HP / 196FT LBS of torque (DTS engine dyno):

GP2 cam w/ WBC 1.55:1 roller rockers
10.0:1 compression, wide port head w/ full pocket port, bulleted valve
guides, small stem valves
Triple Strombergs (my own needles)
Distributorless Ignition
6-3-1 "Pulse" Exhaust Manifold

I have a few other engine configurations with dyno plots on file, but lots
of customers are unwilling to spend $500 for an engine dyno session.  Not
only that, but most engine dyno shops do not have the proper adaptors to
mate the TR6 to their dyno beds.  I had to fabricate the adaptor for the
dyno shop we use.

The GP2 offers good idle, good fuel economy and good road manners.  I never
use reground cams, only cams available on new billets.  The 130HP engine
above will be upgraded to Triple Strombergs and a 6-3-1 exhaust manifold
this Spring.  Then it will be off to the DynaPack again to record the
improvement.

Being built in the shop now is an engine similar to #3, but with further
refinements to the cylinder head and a more conventional distributor fired
ignition.  The pistons crowns, valves and the remainder of the combustion
chamber are also being quoted with a thermal barrier.  The piston skirts are
receiving a dry film lubricant.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke