Cams

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Cams
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 05:38:48 -0800 (PST)
Mark Bradikas wrote:

  <While still unemployed in the computer field I'm doing some British car
work
on the side.  I'll be working on a TR6 motor soon, and the customer
would like
a hotter cam, one suitable for tooling about town, not roaring around
the race
track.  What are people's experience and comments about some of the
various
grinds on the market these days?>

I've been folowing this topic on the six pack net for several years but haven't
seen a real concensus for a " hotter" or "fast street" cam.  I suspect one of
the reasons is the definition of how hot is hot and how fast is fast.  Since
I'm now building an engine I had to make the same decision and ended up with a
new (not reground) Goodparts GP 2 cam http://goodparts.com/parts_cams.html.
There were tons of other highly recommended cams suggested by the go fast guys
on this net.  The lift, duration, etc calculations make my head hurt so I took
the easy way out and picked up the Goodparts GP 2 cam which was also highly
recommended.  I don't have the rebuild completed yet so I can't provide any
input on it--stay tuned.  NFI but I like the Guy.  Don't forget you also need
new lifters!

  MIke Lunsford, 1970 TR 6 TBI

  PS:  Thanks to Mark for maintaining this forum, hope he finds one of those
big bucks computer jobs.

 Yahoo! Mail