Re: ....long throw slave cylinder

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ....long throw slave cylinder
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 23:22:29 -0800
Bruce---I missed the part about the "long throw SC in your original
post, until I read Vance's reply.
It seems the early TR six had a larger bore (.075)  in the Master
cylinder. This meant the SC pushrod moved farther out when the clutch
pedal was depressed. This was changed  a year or two later to a .070
bore to make the clutch operation easier, but this then made the
disengagement of the clutch more critical, as less play could be
tolerated at the pedal box.

If there is now a "long stroke" slave cylinder available, it sounds like
it might accomplish the same thing as the larger bore MC. In this case
the long stroke  would come about by making the SC bore smaller.

At the best of times I never did have a stroke longer than 1/2 inch at
the SC pushrod, and the clutch operated fine (disengagement before going
to the floor).A bench setup showed It actually takes less than 1/4 inch
of throwout bearing forward movement to disengage the clutch.
Anyway, I'd stay with the stock parts, unless you want to upgrade to the
Hydraulic throwout bearing as sold by HVDA. Slick, indeed! A shade under
$500 the last I heard.

Dick

From: brucesimms2003@yahoo.ca(Bruce Simm  ......Is there any merit
in going one step further in getting an adjustable push rod

or a "long throw" slave cylinder from someone such as BPNW?
    Thank you,
    Bruce Simms
  73 TR6