RE: Transmission/clutch work

To: "Bruce Moxon" <bamxn@triad.rr.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Transmission/clutch work
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:04:34 -0700
        Bruce:

        1. No special precautions. Use a seal puller to pull the seal
out, do not use a chisel as my DPO apparently did.
        2. This is why all British cars leak. The gasket technology used
assumes extreme precision in the planarity and finish of the mating
surfaces, something that was never achieved in practice. Use sealant on
both sides of these gaskets, otherwise they will leak FOREVER.
        3. Permatex Hylomar for paper gaskets.
        4. This is very important. Make certain that:
                A. There is no galling or gouging on the front cover.
Polish using emery cloth to eliminate any defects.
                B. There can be no sharp edges on the leading edge of
the front cover. Radius the outer front edge using emery cloth as well.
This will prevent the front cover from digging in on the inside of the
bearing sleeve when the clutch is released.
                C. Radius the inner trailing edge of the throw out
bearing sleeve using emery cloth. The goal is to make sure that the
sleeve cannot dig in on the front cover as you are releasing the clutch.
B & C together are important if you are to avoid the "sticky clutch
syndrome".
                D. Use a SMALL amount of copper slip or some other high
temp grease on the front cover. If you use too much, it will end up on
the clutch disk which will slip.

        Cheers,

        Vance