Re: oil pres on new motor

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil pres on new motor
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:39:49 -0700
Kevin---If you have prepared the engine for startup by using CamLube on
the working face of the bearings and cam lobes and their followers, and
plenty of oil when tapping in the pistons, this should protect the new
parts when spinnng the engine.  Reasonable ignition timing (in the ball
park) and fuel to the carbs should allow the engine to start within
about 10 seconds of starter cranking. The pump speed with the engine
running is so much better (faster) than trying to get pressure up with
the starter.
If you are not sure the engine is going to start, then do the electric
drill method of spinning the pump. (Yes, it should spin like the
distributor rotor, CCW)
The TR6 pump is good at self-priming, so I never resort to using
Vaseline.
My experience has been that once the (new) engine starts, you should see
pressure at the gauge within six or seven seconds, even without
artificial primng methods.

Dick

From: kmcnelis@nmsu.edu Date: Tue, Oct 18, 2005, 5:20pm (PDT+1) To:
6pack@autox.team.net Subject: oil pres on new motor
Things are going well, I think. I have one question. Sparkplugs out, no
coil wire, crankcase full of oil. Fuel system still disconnected. I am
cranking the car with the starter motor. How long should I have to crank
before oil preasure comes up? I followed someone's advice, and packed
the oil pump with vaseline (not really, but the wal-mart brand of same),
so priming shouldn't be an issue, right?
So, how long can I safely crank without doing damage, and how long
should I have to crank before preasure comes up?
Kevin