oil pres on new motor

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: oil pres on new motor
From: kmcnelis@nmsu.edu
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:20:25 -0600
Things are going well, I think.  I have one question.  Sparkplugs out, no coil
wire, crankcase full of oil.  Fuel system still disconnected. I am cranking
the car with the starter motor.  How long should I have to crank before oil
preasure comes up?  I followed someone's advice, and packed the oil pump with
vaseline (not really, but the wal-mart brand of same), so priming shouldn't be
an issue, right?

So, how long can I safely crank without doing damage, and how long should I
have to crank before preasure comes up?

Kevin