RE: Base coat clear coat technique ?

To: stan.foster@hp.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Base coat clear coat technique ?
From: "Dwayne Cooper" <dc_bruin@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:44:15 -0700
Stan:

I painted my car recently with a base coat/clear coat system and the base
coat does indeed appear flat, but the clear coat should bring that out even
without any additional finishing.  Usually you sand and polish a clear coat
finish to either fix defects (dust or other trash in the finish, runs, etc.)
or to remove the invetible orange peel and get an even better finish.

How does the finish feel?  Is it rough like sandpaper?  If so then you
probably have applied the clearcoat too dry.  This can come from the
temperature being too hot for application or spraying from too far away from
the surface.

Dwayne

From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
....I did a test by spraying a plenum vent lid. I found that the base coat
looked dull and the clear coat did not entirely revive it. I'm wondering
if either the base coat and/or the clear coat need to be rubbed down in
between applications. The dull finish seems more to do with the lack of
a smooth surface than wrong pigment.

Anyone have any experience with this technique ?

Stan