Base coat clear coat technique ?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Base coat clear coat technique ?
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:18:15 -0400
I'm doing a few projects on the body that will need some touch up
painting. My car was painted a non standard but very nice red about 15
years ago using enamel and I had a small quantity of paint mixed up
recently that I plan to spray using one of those re-usable spray devices
with the glass container and screw in propellant/spray unit.

Along with the paint was a can of spray-on clear coat. I was told I
would need to apply that over the paint.

I did a test by spraying a plenum vent lid. I found that the base coat
looked dull and the clear coat did not entirely revive it. I'm wondering
if either the base coat and/or the clear coat need to be rubbed down in
between applications. The dull finish seems more to do with the lack of
a smooth surface than wrong pigment.

Anyone have any experience with this technique ?

Stan