RE: Hazard flasher TR250 -- TR6

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "6-Pack"
Subject: RE: Hazard flasher TR250 -- TR6
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:14:14 -0700
        Don:

        I stopped using the Lucas flashers as they had a tendency to die
prematurely, and I would have to wait for my order to come in before I
could get my turn signals working again. I just went to the auto parts
store and got the replacement flasher (three terminal or two terminal)
and changed the mounting bracket. It is not original, but I want the car
to be safe, and driving around with no turn signals because the flasher
crapped out again is risky.
        The differences I observed are simply the shape of the flasher
itself. The generic "replacement" types are round, while the Lucas
flashers are rectangular, so the replacement types will not fit the
bracket. I used a broom handle clip from the hardware store, and
replaced the OEM bracket with that. The round flasher will fit in nicely
after you adjust the spread a little bit. You can also get "real"
brackets to hold the round flashers at a good auto parts store, although
my favorite auto parts store did not carry them (hence the broom handle
clip).
        By the way, I replaced my turn flasher with the "loud" variety
which makes a nice clicking sound when it is operating. Makes it easier
to tell when I have inadvertently left the flasher operating. I know, it
is not "original" so I fudged just a tiny bit there. You can't see it
unless you crawl under the dash, so authenticity nuts like me can
pretend it isn't there =:-o
        If you are in a hurry, just get the flasher from the auto parts
store, and use a zip tie to hold it in place until you either replace
the clip, or get a real Lucas unit of the appropriate variety.

        Vance