Re: tr6 overdrive

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tr6 overdrive
From: "Alan Salvatore" <6parts@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:41:54 -0400
 I want to thank all who responded to my question.
So far filling the tranny with oil was the fix. I brought it to the quik
lube accross the street,, they topped it off for $6.00. That beat crawling
under the car.

Another question:

Are the faces of the guages supposed to be flat black or shinny.  Mine are
flat black, but I don't know if thats because of age.
The reason I ask is because the milage counter in my speedometer recently
stoped working because the gear keeper kept coming off.
I picked up a used speedometer from one of the vendors at the TRF summer
party, I specifically picked out the worst looking one he had because I was
just going to swap the guts out.  The face was so dirty you couldn't see the
numbers, so I polished it and it came out with a shinny face.
After swapping the guts out, it turns out it must have come from an non O/D
car and it was reading about 20 miles off. ( I didn't realize the gear ratio
in the speedo's were different)  So I ended up taking the gear keeper off
the used one and put it in mine and now everything works as it should.

I had tried to buy the keeper from a place that repairs speedo's, but they
said parts are not available and wanted to keep what they had.  So it cost
me $25. for the used speedo and I took  the .50 cent part off it, but it was
still cheaper that sending it in for what would have been $125, repair job.

So  being as anial as I am do I polish the guage faces to make them shinny
or leave them flat black?

Al Salvatore
76 tr6