Re: Hard start hot

To: <jnorth@novagate.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hard start hot
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:59:01 -0600
John, I have had a similar problem on my 76, except it always starts its
just that it may take 5-10 seconds of cranking.  I looked at this a few
years ago, and with a hot engine and engine shut off for about 10
minutes, you could remove the air filters, lift the piston and see a
puddle of gas near the butterfly.

I have heard that the raising the float setting (remember the floats are
set upside down) in the carbs so it shuts the fuel off earlier may help,
but I havent tried this yet.  Maybe your carbs are set on the low side
of the tolerance?

John Lumia - 1976

John North wrote:>

When the engine's hot, starting is a pain.   With the engine hot, and
the

car having sat for a couple minutes, I hold the gas pedal to the floor,
spin

the starter, gradually the engine begins to catch, after 10-15 seconds
of

cranking, maybe it reaches a point where the engine will turn without
the

starter, and off we go.   If the car has been sitting for a 5-10
minutes, no

amount of cranking will start it.   Leave it 10 - 15 minutes and it
starts

first time, no problem.

Is this about heat creating a vapor lock in the fuel line?   Any
solutions?