RE: Heavy Duty Exhause Gasket Manifold to fit 1969 TR6 w/

To: "Billy and Ann Green" <bgreen99@frontiernet.net>,
Subject: RE: Heavy Duty Exhause Gasket Manifold to fit 1969 TR6 w/
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:09:33 -0700
        Bill:

        The exhaust portion of the gaskets are identical, it's the
intake portions that are incompatible.
The intake port spacing changed on the CF series cars, to accommodate
the intake port design used on the PI cars, which was measurably
superior to the head that was previously being used on North American
cars. If you try to use the later gasket, you will occlude the intake
ports and reduce the flow (i.e. power) and perhaps cause cold start
issues and idling issues.
        If you want to use the later heavy duty gasket, you *COULD* cut
the gasket apart, and use the exhaust portion of the heavy duty, and the
intake portion of the OEM gasket. Seems like a lot of work though, and I
don't know the implications of using two different thicknesses of
gasket, given that the studs are shared between the intake and exhaust
manifolds. Seems like they would be OK, but why take a chance?
        14 years is pretty good, so I think I would just use a fresh OEM
gasket, use new lock washers, and torque everything to the high end of
the spec in the Bentley. Do not use anti-seize on the studs or nuts.
Gaskets usually blow because the clamping load is lost for some reason.
If your lock washers get reused, the nuts may start to back off enough
that clamping load is lost and then the gasket will fail. So use new
ones.

        Cheers,

        Vance