RE: Good parts article

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Good parts article
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:40:50 -0600
>===== Original Message From "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
>       MK:
>
>       Impressive power, but what did the curve look like below 2,500
>RPM? He needs to be generating about 170-175 HP at the flywheel to get
>that much to the rear wheels, and I suspect that you would not like to
>drive this on the street for more than a few minutes, less if you are in
>stop and go traffic. Just a suspicion.

On the dyno sheet in the article, Richard's run shows up at about 2100 while
Jim's run shows up at about 2300. The initial numbers for Richard's car are
lower than the initial numbers for Jims but happen earlier in the chart (Not
sure of the discrepancy there for when the cars began registering on the
dyno)and then immediately jump to equal or greater than the Jim's. By 2300
they begin to seperate and above 2500 the seperation is rapid.

The numbers were:
RG's TR6: Max.Power=146.54, Max.Torque=144.24
JH's TR6: Max.Power=72.34,  Max.Torque=112.06

The stock TR6 engine made maximum torque at about 2300rpm and really started
to fall off at about 3500 rpm.
Richard's engine made peak toque at about 5000rpm but is pretty flat from 3400
all the way to 5000.

The Stock TR6 made peak horsepower at about 4000rpm but has a pretty flat
curve from 3500 to 4500, while Richard's car made peak horsepower during a
very flat section of the curve from about 5400 to 6100 with the peak appearing
around 5700.

At least that is what I can tell from the very small dyno chart they put in
the article.

Other than the CR and the RR. I'm runnng the same set up (which I guess leaves
the Triple Carb and GP3 cam). I'm developing about 150hp at the flywheel. In
stop and go traffic I do have some increased heat issues and some carb loading
issues (probably heat related as well, from the headers). Otherwise, in normal
traffic, it's not bad. It really loves the open road though and playing in the
canyons is alot more fun with that very broad and flat torque curve of the GP3
cam.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79   (1972 TR6)