Windshields & Powder Coating.

To: Acekraut11@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Windshields & Powder Coating.
From: TRsick@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 12:25:04 EDT
Hey Aaron:
    Windshields:
     I was able to have my local auto glass shop  order & install one. The
owner was a friend & did it for his cost. So I  don't know what the retail
costs
were? I do know if you tell the  local glass shop you are paying cash, rather
than a insurance claim, it is  much cheaper. I would guess less than $200.00
US installed.
    Powdercoating:
    Pros:
    Yes you can do it cheaply at home with a home kit  with pro results. I
think the Harbor Frieght hobby kit is best & only costs  about $79.00 when on
sale.
    You still need to prep (media blast) all items  beforehand. You can cure
the powder in a old household electric kitchen  range.
    Cons:
    You need to prep (media blast) all items  beforehand. If you have a
cabinet & a REALLY big air compressor it can be  done. If you don't have a BIG
air
compressor, it is painfully slow.
    If you use a household electric range. It better be  one you don't plan
to use again on food you might care to eat. It will  alway's taste like plastic
& could be dangerous to eat. You also are limited  on the size of the oven
being the largest parts you can cure.
    Nelson (Buckeye Triumph Fame) wrote a great article  on powder coating @
home. It was removed from the web for liabilty. You can read  it here (I got
it from the wayback machine)
_http://web.archive.org/web/20020214081002/www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/PowderCoating/powder_coating_equipment.htm_

(http://web.archive.org/web/20020214081002/www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/PowderCoa
ting/powder_coating_equipment.htm)