Re: Thrust Washer Question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thrust Washer Question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 22:56:42 -0700
Michael---First off, the original standard thrust washers have a
thickness of .092. They are also available in thicknesses of +.005 and
+.010, and are usually stamped with the "+" increases on the unworking
side. So, does your having washers of .015 and .030 mean that these are
over the original thickess of .092?

Since you didn't say that you had installed both of these washers to get
what seems to be close to an acceptable .007 clearance, know that you
must do so.

The oil grooves on the thrust washers should face away from each other
when slipped into place. The illustration in the Bentley is confusing,
but the one in TRF Blue Book shows it properly.

Since this is a spare engine, it would be good to take the time to
remove the crankshaft for a good look at it. Then look at the area of
the block that may have unacceptable wear in the area(s) normally
"protected" by these washers.

If you can fit two washers of .097 thickness and still turn the
crankshaft by hand,  chances are good that some wear has taken place in
the crankshaft.  Go from there.

Dick

Michael wrote:
About six months ago an acquaintance gave me an early (1970) TR 6
engine. He said the engine was in good shape (where have you heard that
before) but that it needed new thrust washers. He also gave me a .015
and a .030 set of new thrust washers. I got around to mounting the
engine on my engine stand today (not an easy job by myself) and took off
the pan. WhenI turned the engine over on the engine stand I heard a
clank in the sump area so I was not surprised to find 1 thrust washer
lying in the pan. I don't know where the other one went but found some
debirs and residual pieces that looked like they came from the other
destroyed thrust washer. I took off the rear main and found no thrust
washer.
....I stuck in the .030 washer and there was still a little slop left
but I think it is within the .007 to .008 tolerance....
 I know this topic has been beat to death so if anyone can tell me where
to find an original how to link I would appreciate it. Or if you think
it's time to r! evisit
  this topic again have at it. Also, which side of the thrust washer
faces the front of the engine?   TIA.
Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6 (throttle body