Thrust Washer Question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Thrust Washer Question
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 15:38:04 -0700 (PDT)
About six months ago an acquaintance gave me an early (1970) TR 6 engine. He
said the engine was in good shape (where have you heard that before) but that
it needed new thrust washers.  He also gave me a .015 and a .030 set of new
thrust washers.  I got around to mounting the engine on my engine stand today
(not an easy job by myself) and took off the pan.  WhenI turned the engine over
on the engine stand I heard a clank in the sump area so I was not surprised to
find 1 thrust washer lying in the pan.  I don't know where the other one went
but found some debirs and residual pieces that looked like they came from the
other  destroyed thrust washer.  I took off the rear main and found no thrust
washer.  I stuck in the .030 washer and there was still a little slop left but
I think it is within the .007 to .008 tolerance.  I know this topic has been
beat to death so if anyone can tell me where to find an original how to link I
would appreciate it.  Or if you think it's time to revisit
 this topic again have at it.  Also, which side of the thrust washer faces the
front of the engine?   TIA.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6 (throttle body injection)