Re: TR 6 Mystery Wheel

To: pinderg@sbcglobal.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR 6 Mystery Wheel
From: GSFuqua1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 02:28:09 EDT
Those particular wheels are sold by most all of the Big 3.  They are like a
wire wheel without the individual spokes.  I have a set I keep specifically for
autocrossing. i.e. they are tough!!  Not sure but I think they are made by
Panasport.

You said you were concerned about spline wear.  How so?  How have you checked
them?  Are they sharp to the feel?  Look like a wave, one way or the other?

Shawn is absolutely correct in that you must also check the inside of the
wheel for condition.  While I agree it is much better to replace everything as
set I have found that on occasion and if caught quickly enough you can get by
with changing just the hub without having to replace the wheels also.  Just
make sure to check them thoroughly. i.e. no sharpness, no waves and no slop
when
trying to move the wheel on the hub after a reasonable tightening and the
entire assembly off the ground.  I also very much agree with Shawn on the fact
than most people grossly over tighten.  No need to play King Kong.  Just put
them on correctly and with a few good whacks.  After all they are designed to
be
self tightening.

Cheers,

Gary Fuqua