RE: Radio

To: <jserignese@notes.cc.sunysb.edu>
Subject: RE: Radio
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:50:07 -0700
        Jim:

        I have an original Triumph, working, pushbutton AM/FM mono radio
with faceplate (albeit with non-original knobs). It is a British Leyland
north America radio, made for Triumph by audio Vox. It fits correctly in
the standard center console opening. There is some surface rust on the
case, but the chrome on it is in fair to good condition. The faceplate
and dial are in good shape, so once it is in the console, it looks
pretty good.
        Before you consider a 30 year old Triumph radio, you should know
that the volume is measured in flea power rather than watts, and the
sensitivity is so low that it will not pick up a station unless you are
down wind from the transmitter. However this radio, except for the
knobs, is correct for the car and fully functional. If nothing else your
car will be authentic, and the radio will serve to remind you how far
auto electronics have come in the last 30 years.
        I don't think you can find a modern radio that will fit, as
everything is now the DIN form factor, which is a standard. If you are
willing to remove the center console and saw a large hole in it, a DIN
radio will fit neatly. It will look pretty odd, however, which is why I
am sticking with an original radio. The neatest (but less than ideal)
solution for speakers is a pair of the kidney panels from Moss that have
the speaker cutouts. The speakers are whoppers, 4 inch round as I
recall. They put out enough low quality sound (and with absolutely no
bass) that it will rocket you back to the seventies in a big hurry, and
make you long for a quick return to the nineties.
        I am selling this one because I found another that is FM STEREO
(High tech. Yippee!) with original knobs but all the same shortcomings.
For some reason the former owner would not just sell me the knobs =:-)
If the engine is running, the music still cannot be heard. What can I
say, it's British!
        Contact me off list if you are interested. $40 plus shipping and
it is yours. If that seems like a rip-off, remember that you can't put a
price on nostalgia.
        By the way, there are a couple of places on the web that will
take your girly man OEM radio, and replace the innards to make it a
chest thumping he man sound system while retaining that OEM look we all
crave. It is expensive as I recall. Here is one place I have seen but
not tried: http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/

        Cheers,

        Vance