Re: Steering Rack mounting question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering Rack mounting question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 23:33:32 -0700
 John---What you describe could be something as simple as the tie rod
for the right side improperly adjusted (wheel toed out). This would
explain your having to have the steering wheel (spokes) slightly off to
the left when driving straight. If you're game, you could shorten the
tie rod length to pull the wheel back in visually.
There are toe gauges available to do a home alignment, or you could just
take it to an alignment shop if you don't want to get into these waters!

Dick

John wrote:
Maybe someone can confirm my thoughts here. I've noticed that the
passenger side front tire on my car extends out from the side of the car
further than the driver side tire. Also, the steering wheel itself
doesn't sit completely level when driving straight (i.e., it is turned
to the left slightly). However, when driving it I've never really
noticed any problems with the car drifting to one side or the other. I'm
not an expert on front end alignment, but it seems to me that maybe the
steering rack has shifted ever so slightly to the passenger's side. And
what reconfirms my thoughts is the fact that in the bin of old parts the
previous owner gave me, there are two old rubber steering rack mountings
- which leads me to think he replaced the old ones and in doing so
didn't get the steering rack back on properly. Am I crazy?

Are there other more likely explanations?
John VanNorman
CF28149