installing rear sway bar (and front bar)

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: installing rear sway bar (and front bar)
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:37:00 EST
Thanks for the advice regarding the installation of an addco rear bar.  I did
it without a hitch.  I did weld the washers that are in the spring together.
I would think it would shift around a lot otherwise.  We'll see if the chasis
mounts are sturdy enough.  I think the  recomendation to weld a 1/4 plate to
the chasis is prudent.  The metal is mighty thin.  I used a punch to give the
drill something to bite into.  A half a dozen solids hits with the punch went
right through the chasis. (no rust).  Regarding the front bar:  I bought a kit
(addco) from Moss.  The only kit available doesn't have the slight recurve of
the stock bar.  It's arms are bent about 90 degrees.  The only way I could
figure to mount the links was attached to the middle bolt on the A arm/spring
pan using the spacer from the stock link bracket.  They supply a pair of 1 1/2
3" steel plates (brackets) to attach the link to the lower a-arm.   It seems
to work.  The links are perpendicular to the bar, but it seems to me the
brackets are not mounted right as they do not mate up to the links squarely.
The
stock link has a  pivot arm that would allow some movement but the only
attachment of the bracket is to the single bolt through the A arm.   Has anyone
mounted one of these "new" kits?
Joe Davis