RE: Fire Extinguishers....

To: "6pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fire Extinguishers....
From: "Mike Munson" <fasttrs@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:05:23 -0500
Bob,

We can always count on you for the correct answer; thanks!

Mike
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Sally or Dick Taylor wrote:

> The subject of fire extinguishers came up on this list a few years
back.
> I had mentioned that I carry a HALON unit in my glove box, and other
> ones in my home and shop are still on the ready. Small, but worthy,
and
> I knew it worked well on a test fire. I was advised that these were no
> longer available, as Halon was banned for some reason.
> I still have mine, and now I see Moss Motors sells the Halon type,
shown
> in their latest catalogue.  Anyone know the scoop about the Halon
> issues?

Halon is a florinated hydrocarbon and has been shown to be a leading
factor in the reduction of the ozone layer. It was banned a number of
years ago, about the same time that R12 wa banned as a refridgerant.

<noTRcontent>

I have installed large halon systems in computer rooms in the past.
We're
talking 250 and 500 pound systems. You have not lived 'till you see a
500
pound tank of halon completely empty into a closed computer room in
under
5 seconds. Anything that is not nailed down becomes an impressive
projectile! WOW. That fact plus the exothermal nature of the compressed
gas escaping at high velocity forms an IMMEDIATE fogging of any moisture
in the air

When they banned halon, there was another gas that could be used, but it
required a lot more volume of gas. Halon was awesome for the job, too
bad
about the impact on the environment... but we're better off not using it
as long as we want to keep UV damage to the point where the planet can
still support living organisms!

> Dick

regards,
rml
------
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |