Re: Glad I carry a fire extinguisher

To: <JRURHH@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Glad I carry a fire extinguisher
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:08:29 -0500
> The car started right up and after letting it warm up for a
> minute I  flipped on the head lights and was just about to
> leave when smoke started pouring out of the dash. I thought
> it was the light switch so I pull it out and  behind it a glowing
> wires which soon turns to flames. I got the fire out quick  but
> the car is a mess of white powder.

I have had the same thing happen.  In the summer of 1999 I was filling up my
TR6 at the local gas station, and the sun was begining to go down.  Once the
tank was full, I flipped on the headlight switch and there immediately was a
large amount of smoke first, followed by some visible sparks, and then my
dash caught fire.  I ripped the switch out and that promptly put an end to
the fire.

I did not have an extinguisher in the car when the fire occured, and
considering that I was at a gas station and still at the pump, the outcome
could have been horrific...

> If you don't have a fire extinguisher in your car I would suggest
> you go  out and get one.

ABSOLUTELY!  I carry one in all of my vehicles since my headlamp switch
incident.  I also recommend having it in easy reach of the drivers seat...
it is not wise to hide it in the trunk.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke