Re: Distributor Problem

To: Pat Leask <pleask@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Distributor Problem
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:37:01 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Pat Leask wrote:

> My car (TVR 2500M that uses the TR6 drive train) is not running very well
> and I was told that there is slop in the distributor bushing which could
> well be the cause, and that is common with the TR6 engine... is it?

This is a very common problem with Lucas distributors.

The first problem is the bushing for the dizzy shaft. They get very poor
oiling and the bushing will form an oval shape allowing the shaft to
wobble around.

The second problem is that the mechanical advance plates can develop
"slop" at the pivots. This translates to minor variations in the
mechanical advance, aka "spark scatter".

> Does anyone have a "How to" article on stripping the distributer, what to
> look for, how to reinstall the bushing and so on?

The bushing is pressed in. There's no science there.

The Bentley TR6 shop manaul has some good illustrations on how the
mechanical advance mechanism works (if memory serves). It's a pretty
straight forward job to rebuild the dizzy.

> Or, does anyone have a very good used one I can buy and swap out? Or,
> perhaps an 'iffy" one that I can buy and the rebuild while still driving my
> car?

I have several in a pile somewhere. I pulled them out of both of my TR6's
and replaced them with Mallory dual point units. No spark scatter to more
than 6000 RPM. This really matters when you push the compression ratio up
high (e.g. more than 11:1).

> Thanks, Pat

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |