Re: Distributor Problem

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Distributor Problem
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:06:11 -0800
 Pat---There is a book titled: Tuning the Lucas Ignition Systems that
shows the Lucas internal parts. It is distributed by "Speedsport
Motorbooks"
 Bercourt House, York Road, Brentford, Middlesex, TW8 OQP, England.

 The bushings are occasionally available from Triumph part houses. If
you want to make your own, or have a shop make them, start with two
bronze bushings, 3/4" O.D. and 7/16" I.D. X 3/4" long.  Turn them  to
.744 OD and .489 ID.  (You'll want to measure your distributor housing
and shaft OD to be sure it's the same as mine.

It is true that high mileage can cause distributor shaft wobble, which
will cause some ignition timing variation. However, it is doubtful that
this wobble will cause your engine to "not run very well". A timing
light will show just how much variation your distributor actually has,
assuming that your timing chain is not stretched enough to add to the
variation. (This can also be checked without engine teardown)
Unless you are seeing a jumping around in excess of five degrees,
something else is causing your problem with poor running.

Large variations in ignition timing will cause the engine to not produce
maximum power, and some loss in fuel economy. Example: The engine should
idle well whether the timing is set from  4deg.ATDC to 14deg.(or more)
BTDC. Or anywhere in between. At higher speeds, when the distributor
advance is all-in, the engine will run "OK" whether it sees 28 deg. or
42 deg. or anything in between. As they say, Your mileage will vary!

Dick

Pat wrote:
My car (TVR 2500M that uses the TR6 drive train) is not running very
well and I was told that there is slop in the distributor bushing which
could well be the cause, and that is common with the TR6 engine... is
it?
Does anyone have a "How to" article on stripping the distributer, what
to look for, how to reinstall the bushing and so on?
Or, does anyone have a very good used one I can buy and swap out? Or,
perhaps an 'iffy" one that I can buy and the rebuild while still driving
my car?
Thanks, Pat