Re: TR died and won't start....

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR died and won't start....
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 00:00:08 -0800
Chris---I think the original reason for the engine dying to be
electrically related, so let's do the easy checks to see.
First, pull out the main coil wire where it goes into the distributor
cap, and hold it's brass tip against a good ground source, such as the
valve cover. Turn the engine over using the starter motor, to see if a
good spark jumps from the coil wire to the metal cover. It should be a
rapid fire spark, with no hesitation in the pulsing.
Chances are that you will find either no spark or one that has serious
interruptions. The clues you gave are:
a) backfiring.
b) 300 miles since the points were changed.

a) Backfiring is usually caused when the spark to the plugs has been
interupted while the engine is continuing to pull in fuel and air, such
as with the starter motor, or the engine being driven by the road
wheels. Momentary re-entering of spark can fire off accumulated,
unburned fuel in the exhaust and fire it "out of time".  Bang!

b) New points have been known to close up their gap after a few hundred
miles, due to the bedding in of the new rubbing block. If the points
won't open, no spark will take place.  Check that this gap is still
present and set it as close to .015 as possible.

Of course there are lots of other things that could account for the
engine not starting. Try to avoid compounding the problem by going into
unrelated areas. (I know this is difficult when the engine refuses to
start)

Since you want to enjoy your TR6, arm yourself with a couple of good
service manuals, and some diagnostic equipment, if you haven't already
done so.

Dick Taylor

Subject: TR6 died while driving and now won't start
Chris wrote:
First let me start by saying I am a beginner/novice when it comes to
cars...  Now I'm looking for some suggestions on how to determine how
serious this maybe and some things to check for.
Replaced the fuel pump & fuel filter
Replaced the oil and filter
Changed the spark plugs
Replaced the battery

Once this was complete we were able to get it started and drove it
around the block. After that I had it taken to a local British Mechanic

 Then I had him perform the following:

*****Install points and condenser set ****- tune everything up
Since then I have rebuilt one of crabs and have
drove the car about a total of 300 miles or so with no problems to speak
of.

So here's what I've done since the weekend to try and get it restarted:
Tried jumpstarting
Fully charged the battery
Confirmed fuel is getting to the crabs
Checked fuel filter
Tinkered with crabs
The cars has turned over a couple of times but died right away and it
**back fired.** I'm assuming the next logical step might be to check for
spark but then again this is new to me. So that's why I'm now soliciting
suggestions and help on how to go about diagnosing the problem. I
apologize for the length as I know it's long.
Chris Jolly
1970 TR6
jollycj@comcast.net