Re: Electric fan - works good, but....

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, richard.r.olson@faa.gov
Subject: Re: Electric fan - works good, but....
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:39:02 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/2004 1:58:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-6pack-digest@autox.team.net writes:

But the  reason for this post is related to the fan installation.  I
followed  Dan Master's suggested wiring, including the DPDT switch and
indicator lamp  (the old 'SEAT BELT' lamp that never worked that now reads
'FAN').   Turns out I don't need the lamp because whenever the fan kicks on,
my  ammeter pops 3/4 of the way over to 'C+' !  This is not a problem,  it
just LOOKS alarming and I'm sure it's related to the higher  capacity
alternator, ~9A fan load  and original ammeter.

I've  got a 10ga wire from the battery + post to the CB/relay and then to
the  fan.  I assumed that the ammeter would ignore the fan because it's  tied
directly to the battery, but I looks like what I'm seeing is the  alternator
(re) charging the battery while the fan is on.  Does that  sound right?

Richard,

Which set of my instructions did you use? If I have a set of instructions
out there suggesting that you connect the relay to the battery in a car with an

ammeter, I need to correct them, because that is not right. What you are
seeing on your ammeter is not the battery charge current, but the current to
the
fan. It will appear as charge current if it is hooked directly to the
battery.  See: _http://www.members.aol.com/danmas/ammeter.htm_
(http://www.members.aol.com/danmas/ammeter.htm)  for  more info on this.

Regards,

Dan