Wet Drive Train

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wet Drive Train
From: "John & Allison Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:15:19 -0400
When it rains it pours...

I pulled the TR6 out this AM to go to work and there was fluid on the garage
floor. It is clear and oily. My oil level is fine.  I just changed it ~2wks
ago Castrol GTX 20W50. I also reset my valve gaps.  I replaced the valve
cover gasket and the engine seems dry around the perimeter. I have not
noticed very much fluid on the floor before, maybe a couple drips.  My sense
of things is that the tranny and OD have been dry. The oil pan has always
been grimy, not bone dry but not sopping wet either. I was under the car on
a lift when I first got it and it seemed dry.  I have been under it a time
or so in the last 2 weeks and again have not noticed anything unusual.  I
did take the car for a drive last night and did not notice anything unusual.

It seemed like there was maybe 30 mL or so on the floor this AM.  After
sitting at work there seemed to be maybe anther 10 mLs on the ground.  This
is atypical.  I put the car up on blocks and shinnied under.  I am not sure
how to interpret what I saw.

The bottom of the drive train seems wet.  The oil filter housing seems dry.
However, the oil psn seems to have a drip at the oil drain.  The pan bolts
at the back neat the engine have drips on them, but they are dark, not like
the clear oil I saw. The clutch slave cylinder also seems wet, but only at
the side that bolts to the bell housing.  The sides of the tranny are dry,
but the seam that runs along the bottom of the tranny to the drain seems wet
alson with the drain plug. The OD seems fairly wet, but I can;t really see a
source. The brass disk with the slots around the perimeter seesm wet.  The
exhaust pipe back to the OD support before the drive shaft universal seems
wet.

The car is now level and on blocks.  I have put down newspaper to see if I
can trace the source of the oil.

Questions:

1.) What kind of oil do I use to recharge the transmisson?
2.) Any advice on this type of leak - likley cause or how to trace?
3.) Any additional maintenance while I am under there?

John Cyg
70 TR6
CC52927LO

Check out the new British Cars Forum: