RE: Hi Energy Ignitions?

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hi Energy Ignitions?
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:49:39 -0400
Hi Nick,

I have been away on vacation or would have responded sooner. My 75 TR6 was
running Crane's XR3000 electronic ignition and Crane's HEI coil. It ran very
well and the only problem to report is that the center post of the
distributor would eventually erode away from the much hotter spark. I have
since converted to electronic injection with a distributorless ignition
system.

The TR cap is rather small but it can handle the job. I found the best way
to set it up was by drilling as large a hole as possible in the cap. Using a
Dremel tool you are not limited to a small round hole. If I remember
correctly (better check) the TR distributor turns clockwise. Static timing
should have the rotor lined up with number one so only about a sixteenth of
in inch of the rotor's contact is next to the dist post. Most of the rotor
will be PAST the post. This is very important because when the engine
advances 32 degrees it will still be aligned with the correct post. Using a
timing light connected to the post next to your viewing port, you can
actually watch the rotor and make necessary adjustments. Improperly aligned,
it will fire to the nearest post which may not be the one you were hoping
for.

Running all that power with the original cap it would be wise to add a cap
and rotor to the spares in your trunk.

There are some photos of the Crane system on my web site. Unfortunately the
site is down while the server is being relocated but it expected to be back
up within a day or so. Check out: http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/engine.htm

Rick Patton
75 EFI TR6