Re: Venting and 1st time on the road in nearly 3 years!!!!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Venting and 1st time on the road in nearly 3 years!!!!
From: genehart@att.net
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:33:51 +0000
Richard,

My painter did the same to me. I went into detail on the entire car
before I dropped it off,. I brought him the tub on a trailer, then the
fenders, then the boot and bonnet, then the doors. I then brought the
chassis for the body to be fixed to. I did a lot of the aligning,
installing the detail pieces and chrome, and installed the metal dash
and steering so the car then could easily be moved around. Then final
paint and clear.

It was quoted as 4k job. Through the entire process I paid him in
increments, with 1k up front but it still took him from Feb 1st to May
30th. {4 FREAKEN MONTHS!!!} This totally screwed me up, I expected the
car in 6 to 8 weeks and since my wife had our second child on June
2nd, work on the car virtually stopped until just lately.

And at the end he wanted another 1k for paint supplies he screwed up
and extra work due to his incompetence in estimating the job. He
painted the rear the wrong color black, and he screwed up the
undercoating. Also the over spray on my new PC'd chassis is way
overboard. In the end I gave the 2 guys working on the car $250 each
as a tip, and not a cent over the 4K to the owner. I told him that I
would of given him another 1K if the car was back ito me in 6 weeks,
with the correct paint for.

BTW- Just got it running this week, and I'm installing the carpet
now. Once I'm done with the interior (except for the tranny
cover). I'll go out for the first time in 1 /1/2yrs. and test the
overdrive. If all is working then I'll button everything up, install
the top, bleed the brakes, balance and tune the carbs, fix the
gremlins in the wiring and detail the undercarriage and rest of the
car then I'll be all ready to go to my first show. Vanderbilt
concourse on Aug 22. Wish me luck.

--
Gene Hart