Strengthening the frame of a TR6

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strengthening the frame of a TR6
From: "Mary & Carl Feickert" <feickert@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 04:16:52 -0400
Hi.

I want to know if any one on the list group has ever "Strengthened" (ie.
put sheet metal on both sides of the frame) where the trailing arms connect
to the frame on a TR6? My issue is the frame is rusting where the trailing
arm is connected (bolted to). My plan is to take 4 (2 for each side of the 2
frames)pieces of metal about 2 inches high and about 24" long and bolt them
on either side of the frame to strengthen the sides of the frame where the
trailing arms attach.(useing the bolts that connect the trailing arm, plus
sheet metal screws to hold the metal in place. This is also to be done with
the body on the frame. The metal would be the same size and thickness of the
"spacer" the was required by the factory, being used as a spacer. Is this a
wise thing to do?

Any assistance/suggestions would be appreciated.

Carl Feickert
'75 TR6
Smyrna, Ga.