Re: RE:OVERDRIVE

To: "Harry Hart" <hhart2404@charter.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RE:OVERDRIVE
From: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 12:49:05 -0400
Harry,

Not having extensive experience in mounting O/Ds (one, actually) all I can
share is that single experience with a "J" type.

Are you talking "A" or "J"?  I know that "A" O/Ds require fiddling with the oil
pump roller bearing to clear the mainshaft cam surface.  The technique is
described in Bentley.

The last inch or so on "J" O/Ds ("A" also?) that seems to hang up is due to
misalignment of the O/D internals to the mainshaft.  The easiest way of
aligning it all is to have a spare O/D mainshaft (I know, yea, right,
everybody has a spare!) and slip it into the O/D until it slides fully home.
Once aligned remove the spare shaft and then carefully mount the unit to the
transmission.  It will drop right to the adapter face.  Maybe a lister has a
bad shaft that can be loaned for that purpose.

Outside of that method I guess it comes down to trial and error.  Actually, one
would think that an alignment tool similar to ones used for clutch alignment
would be available for this tedious task.

Greg Dito
CD6250L