Re: 5 speed conversion

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 5 speed conversion
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:46:02 -0700 (PDT)
Neil wrote:
List:
<Does anyone have experience with Toyota of Ford transmission
conversions. I remember some threads a while back, but can't find them
now. A manufacturer name would be great. >

Herman Van der Akker has made a kit for converting the Toyota 5 speed
that bolts to the TR engine. It appears to be well thought out. I talked
to him at the last Triumphest, and he is continuing to make it even
better. His latest price is $1200 for the kit. You provide the tranny.

<Aside from the originality issue, what is the lists opinion of the
Triumph OD setup verses a 5 speed. As I recall, the Toyota trans.
results in a final ration about the same as 4th. over, but I may be
mistaken.>

You are correct in that the 5th gear of the Toyota being very close to
the TR OD in ratio...about .78 to 1, depending on which Toyota box you
choose.

<How fast does the OD switch on and off?, is it quicker than a gear
change with the clutch?>  Neil Wehmeyer

The OD TR's I've driven have a very quick shift, similar to a good
automatic. It would take an expert to shift a manual any faster.

Dick Taylor