RE: Outer Hub U joints

To: "michael lunsford" <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Outer Hub U joints
From: "Steve Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:25:01 -0700
If you get to the point of having to take the hub out and the bolts show ANY
sign of wobble install heli-coils in all of them.

I had my trailing arms out and the helicoils took 30 min a side to install.
I jiged up the trailing arm from a low bench to the table saw and double
braced the drill.  My only mistake was putting the same thread (5/16-28 or
NF) back in instead of the better NC style(sure hope I remembered the thread
pitch right)

Also it's very important to replace every one of the numts you remove with
new.  The nyloc may look like it;s ok but they are allegedly good for one
tightening only.

If you want a look at what can happen to the trailing arm if things go wrong
look at the winter2002 page on my wee (www.kc4sw.com/triumph.htm)

Steve
tr6@kc4sw.com