Outer Hub U joints

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Outer Hub U joints
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 05:51:14 -0700 (PDT)
I saw only one item that should be added to the excellent advice furnished to
Curt Hoffman about replacing the outer rear hub u joints on his 6.  That is to
be extremely careful when tightening the 5 (?) bolts that hold the rear hub
housing to the trailing arm.  These bolts are tapped into the aluminum trailing
arm with fine threads and are prone to stripping.  As a matter of fact I would
be suprised if you could get them loose without one of them stripping out.
Anyhow the torque on these bolts is suprisingly small, if memory serves about
12 to 15 lbs.  Just a note to be careful since the threads in the trailing arm
are a real PITA to fix once they are stripped.  Been there, done that.

Thanks to all who attended the TRF Summer Party for providing those of us who
didn't attend a vicarious (though dry) summary of their experiences.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6