RE: Stuck Bonnet

To: wenal@comcast.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Stuck Bonnet
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:35:07 +0000
Hi Wendy,

Good point about the cable slipping through the trunnion.  I always put a
second trunnion on the bonnet release cable behind the one permanently
located on the bonnet release mechanism.  This bonnet issue is too
important.  Then I actually crimp on a cable end cover (available at any
bicycle store, just ask the mechanics) so that the cable does not fray.  I
used to use the same trunnion that is located on the water heater valve
where the water heater cable atttaches for the backup trunnion.  But
recently I decided that there was too much of a difference in diameter of
the stranded cable and ID of the water heater trunnion.  After a lot of
looking around I bought a HELP! brand package that had the perfect one (but
then of course replaced the basic steel screw with a custom length stainless
steel one).

Then bonnet release system falls under regular maintenance for me.  $15 for
a new bonnet release cable is a worthy expense every few years.

Sincerely,
Dave Herbert, a.k.a Stainless Psycho
1969 TR6 and nothing else