RE: ominous tranny noise

To: "'Mark Creamer'" <mcreamer@earthlink.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ominous tranny noise
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:25:05 -0400
Mark,

If you could clarify your description of events I may be able to help!

<Hi guys, on the way back from Mid Ohio's Sprint Vintage Grand Prix and
LBC Show yesterday, my car developed a grinding sound when in gear.>

Did you put the transmission in neutral while moving, (25 MPH or more),
and the noise stopped? I assume that when you say "in gear" you must
have tried free wheeling in neutral and the noise disappeared? Maybe
not?

<1st note:>

<"I don't seem to have a wheel bearing issue, both rear wheels seem to
be spinning clean". So I double, triple and quadruple-checked the jack
Stands, started the car and put her in gear (1st). The grinding is very
noticeable.>

2nd note:

<Guys, does this make sense? I took the rear wheels off, and the first
thing I noticed was my right rear seemed way too tight.>

Mark,

This reads like a contradiction! Do the rear wheels spin freely, or is
there an obvious problem? What was too tight?

<2nd note:>

<So I adjusted it back, and with the wheels off, went back to my
investigating. In gear with the wheels off, it's pretty quiet. I don't
hear the grinding anymore.>

What did you adjust?

<So I put the wheels back on, and took the car down the driveway. As
soon as I got back in gear, the noise was back - sort of a grinding
popping sound, like when gears aren't meshing properly.>

Gears submerged in oil, and surrounded by a casing will not produce
horrific sounds! They can certainly fail! Metallic grinding noises? No!
Dull popping, more felt than heard? Yes!

<On the way home, shifting still seemed smooth, and I have all gears,
Including OD and reverse.>

My conclusion,

It is unlikely that there is anything wrong with your transmission!

Best regards,

Jim Swarthout