Re: Cam Regrind

To: Cliff Davies <cdavies@holzher.com>
Subject: Re: Cam Regrind
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:53:07 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Cliff Davies wrote:

> Anyone know how to determine if a cam has been
> re-ground?
> I understand a cam can only be re-ground once?
> Cliff
> 73'

A decent cam grinder will always leave some sort of marking to indicate
what they did. So, if you see BP270 and you ask around, you'll know it's a
Piper BP270 cam.

Cams can be re-gound more than once, but as Dick Taylor indicates, that
depends on how much of the base circle is "still there". To wit, I had a
Kent TH3 (I think) that I sent to a grinder last spring. He was able to
message it to 270 degrees of duration and about .400 gross lift. So that
one sample indicates a cam that was re-ground twice.

If you hammer a lobe, forget it unless you don't mind a welded up new lobe
(that can crack off)... But send the cam to the grinder first for a
learned opinion. Good cam grinders can work miracles.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |