RE: Chasing a short

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Chasing a short
From: "Stephen Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 07:34:47 -0700
Hi All,

I've been watching this thread from afar, my connection
would not allow replies, and have the following observations.

1.  The ignition circuits can not be involved IF they go
    through the ignition switch.  the coil/points are switched
    off by the key switch.  You can prove that by watching
    the Ammeter on the dash as you turn on the key switch.
    The draw is fairly high.

2. the most likely paths would be any switched circuit.
   The switch contact(when off) still has a high resistance
   connection to the "on" position.  I suspect you'll find a switch
   that is allowing enough current to flow through a lamp but
   the flow level is to low to light the lamp.

3. I know that the alternator has been replaced but it is still
   a possible fault.  It is one of the things that is across the
   battery at all times.

To troubleshoot this problem I'd hook an Ammeter, capable
of low current level measurements, in series with the battery.
Then go to the fuse block and start pulling fuses ( of course
this assumes you see current flow with everything turned off).
There are two theories in troubleshooting, one is to remove
stuff until the problem goes away the other is to remove, observe,
and then replace.  I think doing the first and then the second
might be needed here.  Using the wiring diagram for the car isolate
each circuit by unplugging it.

Happily the TR6 is no where near as complex as a more modern
computer(ugh) controlled car.  Also happily a TR6 draws NO current
when it is shut off, so ANY flow indicates a problem.

If you want I'll look at it closer when I get home.

Regards,

Steve
tr6@kc4sw.com