FW: Chasing a short

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Chasing a short
From: "Rick" <rpatton@clinic.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:44:44 -0400
Dwayne,

That diode is 1 amp, Radio Shack 276-1101.

I've thought about this problem a bit. It's not a dead short as it doesn't
draw enough current to blow a fuse or melt the some of your electrical
system. The technical name is "parasitic draw". Depending on whether the
engine stops with the points open or closed likely determines how much
current flows. If the points are closed, voltage can flow from the
alternator to the coil to the points and then to ground. It would be a very
slight draw that may take a week or more to drain the battery. On the other
hand, if the engine is shut down and the points are open, there may not be a
path to ground at all. Adding a diode to the circuit allows voltage to
excite the alternator, telling it to charge when the ignition is switched
on, but prevents voltage from flowing backwards. Perhaps one of the list's
electrical guru's can explain this better.

Rick Patton
75 TR6
Web site moving to http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/